Trade/FA: The Crows should be trading out players with a bit of a salary cap squeeze and rumoured unrest.
- If Sloane walks, the Crows will likely get an after first selection compo pick or an end of first round pick. This is speculation as the AFL don't share their eleven secret herbs and spices 'formula', but Sloane leaving will likely mean a large contract (which is a pro for the formula), but he is 29yo in Round 1 2019 and was taken with Pick 44, both which will work against them.
- Mitch McGovern, if he forces a trade, would be worth a first round pick of 5 - 12. The Crows should trade McGovern to the West. I’d prefer a mid-first round pick this year than McGovern, helps the salary cap squeeze too. Option 1: McGovern and Pick 19 goes to Freo for Pick 7. Option 2: McGovern to West Coast for future 1st round pick and Lycett). Better still, trade out Jenkins and bring in a draft pick and ruckman, either Zac Smith (would require a 3 way trade) or a developing ruck.
- AFL website said target Miles, which doesn’t make sense because Adelaide are similar to Richmond. Adelaide already has a Miles type in CEY (and they aren’t the quickest midfield). Miles needs games at a lesser club like Carlton/Gold Coast. Tom Stewart doesn’t make sense either, they already have Laird in that role, and have Smith coming back, Doddee playing well, Seedsman having a career best year, and have resigned draftee McPherson who is a similar type.
- Should be targeting a mini-rebuild to ease cap pressure, capitalise on their power status and allow players to move out for talented youngsters. They could move out Aitkins for a 2nd rounder to the right club (maybe Melbourne, bringing Garlett in + a future 3rd rounder).
Draft: The Crows will be the envy of many clubs this year with such a strong draft hand, 3 picks inside the top 22 (at least), and should they lose the players above they will likely get 3 more picks inside the top 25. With so much South Australian high end talent, what do they do?
- Option 1: Maintain picks and look to draft a South Australian trio like Connor Rozee, Jackson Hately, and Tom Sparrow. The dream scenario would be for Izak Rankine to slip to 8 and Rozee to be available at 14.
- Option 2: Trade up for Rankine! The SA cream of this exceptional draft crop. Heard recruiters saying they've never seen a more talented draft prospect. To get him, it would likely mean bundling up two first round picks to move inside the top 4. Clubs will need to overpay to move inside the top picks in this draft. The absolute elite talent runs to about 9, but two of those players are tied to academies. Trading 8 and 14 for Pick 4 - 6 seems more likely to me.
- Option 3: Trade up for Lukosius!!! Chris Doerre (aka Knightmare) is calling this kid the best draft prospect in 10 years. I would only do a deal for Lukosius if was for Pick 1, which comes with a nice marketing kickback. They would need to really overpay to get it, something in the realm of Crows 2018 and 2019 first round + Melb 2018 first round, and try to get a 2019 second round pick back. It’s a huge investment, but could pay off though.